View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
monconserv
AF Newbie

Re: 92 Metro key broken off in ignition

I have a 89 Geo Metro that I have figured out how to repair the broken key problem. First I ordered a broken key extractor set off of eBay. I tried that and it didn't work, but I still needed them later when a new idea came to me after I prayed about it. I took the plastic cover off that surrounds the ignition, four screws on the under side. Then you will see 3 spring pins that are holding the key cylinder in. I used a needle nose to pull them out. The cylinder will come out. Take notice of a spring plate behind the cylinder that is loose. Next you will need a snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring on the back end. This will remove cylinder from case. I took a picture to help in reinstallation but was unable to upload to this post. There is a open spot on the side of cylinder that I could see the key. You need a piece of stiff metal rod about 1/32 dia 3-4in long. A large paper clip or I used a welding rod. I bent the end with a curve on it to push the key out as far as I could. Then I used the key extractors to get it out the rest of the way. The tumbler pins in the cylinder exert a lot of pressure on the key and make it hard to come out. I sprayed it with silicone to help extraction. Reassemble and there you go.It is nice to have a working key for resale value.
monconserv is offline   Reply With Quote