View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #50
dewangxp
AF Newbie

Re: Replacing intake gasket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwinson
First off, get the Felpro gasket set, and it probably is the more expensive set. There are a few reasons. First, the gasket is a metal gasket with some sort of neoprene around the critical areas. Second, my brother-inlaw is a mechanic who has never had one return to the shop due to leaks using this gasket, and he has used it on his own cars as well.

The Felpro set comes with nearly every gasket and O-ring you need to do the job. We did have to go to the dealer on a quick run to get an O-ring for the press fitted heater tube, but that was only a buck.

We also used an RTV sealant that is used in the shop. Apparently is is much better than the stuff recommended.
I used the Felpro PermaDry Plus Gasket set. Unfortunately, the Upper Plenium Gasket was cardboard like material, which if not carefully could easily break. I installed it in my 2000 Malibu on 12/06 at approx 148K miles and still holding at 173K as of 6/27/08. Definitiely used RTV, reused the intake bolts that came on the car. When I removed the spark plug wires, I only removed from the row that was towards the radiator, the spark plug wires towards the firewall, I left them connected to the spark plugs. Instead I only unplugged the electrical connectors on the side of the ignition coil module pack, then remove the bolts holding the ignition coil module pack and just set it aside.

While I was at...
Replace the thermostat, because of age and easier to get to, since the manifold was removed

Replace the o-ring that drives the oil pump shaft, usually known to go back and a common place for oil leaks.

Tips I learned from other people.

The stud that holds the ignition coil to the rear valve cover can be removed, which helps remove the rear valve cover, I did not do this however.

Someone was able to remove the fuel injector rail from the intake without disconnecting the line. I believe that you would only need to remove the nut that holds the fuel line clips to the rear of the engine
dewangxp is offline   Reply With Quote