View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 AM   #17
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
You have the Super Plasma GT-X, correct, not the regular Super Plasma? The Regular Super Plasma high beam is "Super White" 3800K (low beam 5000K). The GT-X didn't list the color temp high beam but says "Xtreme White High Beam." Xterme White PIAA's low beam is 4200K, and the High beam is 3950K. It is most likely in between there. The blueish/green tint may be due to the purple coating on the top half of the GT-X bulb, when combined with the light output. I am sure that's partically why it's there. I believe the Silverstars are 4000K for both. I suspect with more lumens shining through, they shows more color due to the increaed brightness, tha's you notice it. Also, since the color temp is already around there, the color temp won't drop, so you won't experience the whiting of the light due to the dropping of the high beam to around 4000K. Also, the max wattage of your silverstars on high beam is 72 watts. I am guessing the slightly higher wattage also increases the color output you noticed at that color temp, since you have increaed light output due to the increased lumans of being on high beam.
Yeah, it's the S/P GT-X that I have and not the regular or GT version S/P PIAAs. The GT-X's are rated at 5000K lowbeam, and a 4500K highbeam, so a bit higher than the original Super Plasmas. The Silver Stars i was unaware as still being a higher wattage than stock. On the bulb base (the metal ring at the bottom) they say 55/60w and so I figured they were stock. They are also advertised as being stock, but since Sylvania is an OEM manufacture, they probably let them run at a slightly higher than stock wattage rate but know exactly how much more OEM parts can handle before having any noticeable problems. I never had a single problem with my Silver Stars though. Just wanted to try out and see what the PIAAs were like, and I really like them a lot! Very pleased.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote