View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 12:49 PM   #23
SDSCAN
AF Newbie

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Hudson

People who say things like Ferraris being glorified Fiats or being related in any way to GM products don't understand the automotive industry.

Fiat Auto and Ferrari SpA are both owned by Fiat SpA and this is a bit confusing to the average person. The people who get confused by this are the same folks who think Mitsubishi TVs and Mitsubishi cars have any connection beyond the same parent company. It's all in the same names being used for different companies. You never see people wondering if GE aircraft engines are being assembled by the cast of NBC's TV show Friends...even though they're both owned by the same company.

Fiat Auto has no direct connection to Ferrari SpA. If Ferrari SpA uses any of the same parts as a Fiat car, it's because Ferrari SpA bought them from the same supplier.

General Motors owns 20% (although this percentage is now in debate) of Fiat Auto. Fiat SpA owns 5% of GM. GM has no direct relation to Ferrari SpA at all. Fiat SpA owns about 80% of Fiat Auto and about 60% of Ferrari SpA. GM owns NONE of Ferrari SpA.
Hudson, thanks for the clarification.

I agree when you state that this is confusing to the average person, myself included. You need at least a PHD to figure all this out.

So, I heard that Parmalat (or was it Danone?) was planning to buy a piece of FIAT SpA. Just kidding, of course.

Regards, SDSCAN
SDSCAN is offline   Reply With Quote