Thread: Timing chain
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Timing chain

Ah, I love reading about the Carwash Catalina

I have used basic, cheapie timing sets with no problem. The only thing to avoid are Nylon or nylon-coated gears. Nylon is used to reduce gear noise, but is not always durable in the long run.

All-steel gears are more reliable and, to my ear, make no more noise than the nylon ones.

Most stock-style timing sets use a Hy-Vo chain, which look a bit like a cogged belt made form steel, like this (click here). They work well, and usually last the life of the engine.

The 'roller' chains look like a double row of bicycle-type or motorcycle-type drive chain. In theory, they provide more accurate valve timing but are more expansive than the Hy-Vo type.

However, many cheaper roller chains are not 'true' roller, in that the cog bars do not have a rolling collar on them and are no better than, and sometimes worse than the Hy-Vo type.

Imo just get a basic Hy-Vo type with all-steel gears and you will be fine. Chances are, the W or Y block will take the same set.

BTW, why do you want to change the set? These chains will last at least 100,000 miles and usually, 200,000++++ miles.

EDIT: I checked out rockauto, and the W and Y blocks both use the same cheaper chains, so either listing will do.
Either the Cloyes set ($22) or the Sealed Power set ($30) will do.

The Cloyes is all steel according to the pic, although $22 is alarmingly cheap for a timing set.

There is no pic for the Sealed Power one. If it's all-steel too, it may be a better quality set, at least judging by the price. Call them and see, if possible.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote