Thread: Pulsing Brakes
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Pulsing Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItADouble
Hey folks. I've got some feedback for everyone.

I got married.... Came back and replaced all four front ball joints last weekend. This took all the 6 and 12 oclock movement out the wheel. The job took almost 12 hours... because I stink as a grease monkey.

I used the Ball Joint replacement in the "how to" on this site. It was invaluable to me. As I stated before, I'm no mechanic. I don't play one on TV.

The only diviation from his instructions was that I removed the spindle on the driver side as well. It was only one more nut.

I greased that crap out of the brake caliper pins as suggested as well and checked for loosness in the other suspension. I didn't find any.

The ball joints themselves were IMO totally shot. The bottom joint bolts were so loose I question whether they were ever torqued properly. The boots on three of four were popped but still held grease.

To recap everything I recently replaced on the front end; The rotors, pads, Hub assemblies, and all the ball joints. The truck drives like a dream and has shown a good increase in fuel efficiency. I got a very, very slight pulse in the brake pedal when braking. I'm going to check the rear brakes maybe this weekend to see if they might be contributing to that. A set of new tires and an alignment and I think I'll be golden.

Thanks again guys. This site saved me a bundle!
Make sure you take the weight off your front wheels and grease the crap out of the new ball joints every 5000miles or they will be toast in a year.