View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 08:53 PM   #3
mcervantes
Writer mod

Well considering I wrote the story, you pretty much know where I stand. But I will add one thing. If this family wins, or Nissan caves, it potentially sets a legal precedent that says all automakers can be held liable for accidents that MIGHT POSSIBLY have been prevented by optional safety equipment that the buyer decided not to purchase. If that happens, what’s more likely: A) Automakers begin to make all optional safety features standard (side/curtain/other airbags, traction control, stability control, lane departure warning, laser cruise control, etc, etc) at tremendous cost to their profits and/or substantial MSRP increases – which deter people from purchasing a new vehicle or B) Automakers will simply stop developing new technologies and testing them on high end vehicles with the intent to eventually have it filter down through the rest of the lineup?

This family says they’re trying to help society with this lawsuit, but will their lawsuit simply prevent the next lifesaving advancement from ever making it to the market?
mcervantes is offline   Reply With Quote