View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Most People Do Not Like Wide/Low-Profile Tires, Article Comments Suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Well, I could point out that my stereo predates Monica Lewinsky's BIRTH, but that is just oneupsmanship.

But bringing us back to the topic - low profile tires - if you go back far enough, the aspect ratios of tires available was as high as 100%. At what point should we start calling them low profile? When I was a lad, 70 series was considered low profile - and there were the same complaints about those. It's all a matter of perspective.

I personally would not go below 60-series section tires if buying a car from 2010 or later. I don't know if that qualifies as 'low' profile, perhaps 55- and under? I've heard the praises and read mostly positive reviews for GM's F-40 suspension option - available in the 1970s-'80s, and the lowest profile tire I think used with it was 70 series. One review suggested that the F-40 should be standard on GM's mid-size and more cumbersome full-sized letter code bodies of that era.

Thanks for pointing out that it is a longer term trend, going back at least 30 years, but not a good trend. I like the heavier steering feel associated with a combination of higher profile tires, sensible power steering boost(not so much that it feels like a video game wheel!), and good suspension geometry(caster, SAI, scrub radius, etc). And one should not have to buy a 'status' mobile to get all that.
RidingOnRailz is online now   Reply With Quote