View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 08:33 AM   #39
porridgewog
AF Newbie

Just been looking at the previous pages. Got to agree that it is when you go down, not if. The best way to learn is time in the saddle, and that results in putting yourself in the crosshairs of asshole on the road.

Been riding for around 10 years and started with a triumph Daytona T595. Thought I was invincible with all that power and acceleration, but it took less than two seconds for me to get point fixation on a corner and I stuffed into a barrier at 60mph. I walked away only because I was wearing full leathers and a quality lid. The bike was written off but was rebuilt and we did another 10,000 miles together.

The point? Well it takes time to gain the experience you need, just like anything else in life. New riders dont have to be frightened, but they need to be aware that they will go down at some point. Could be on a corner, could be at a junction (I dropped a fully loaded BMW GS1150 with girlfriend on board at a junction, not very impressive!) It may not be your fault, but the more miles and hours you do, you will become acutley aware of what you are doing along with everyone else around you. Thats the holy grail, guessing what everyone will do around you.

I ride in the UK and Europe, but at the moment I am living in Dubai. The roads are amazing, the Police dont care and we regularly have 160mph plus breakfast runs here. But when the traffic starts, everyone is out for themselves. Thats where your experience is learnt and where you can use it. Any idiot can do full throttle all day long, but it takes a good rider to be able to make a decision as to where and when its best.

Speed does not kill, its stupidity that does. After all, accidents happen in one place, so spend as little time in that place as you can!

Happy trails
porridgewog is offline   Reply With Quote