View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 AM   #152
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettribution87
What beats me though is not the weight of the electric motors but the weight of a possible battery. Does this AWD system need an auxiliary battery?
Its just considering that these electric motors are going to be used for secondary propulsion they will need to have an output similar to the main engine (for AWD starts) and from this it seems likely that they would have a higher current draw then a standard alternator could supply. Therefore (like an electric vehicles) they might have a large axillary battery or set of batteries, which charge up from the alternator purely for use by the electric motors.

In any case I am no electrician so I could be going about this the wrong way.
Quote:
The Cube is a front-driver, but with the optional e-4WD system, when wheelspin is detected, the rears are temporarily turned by an electric motor that derives its juice from the alternator.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=6

The Nissan Cube uses a detuned form of the E-AWD system that the GTR...atleast that is what i have gathered from what officials have said. So, I am sure that the motors are either very efficient or the Cube uses very small motors. Reguardless, the Cubes system will be no where near the capabilities of the GTR's system so who knows how Nissan will work it. I am sure it would have a bigger alternator than most cars...we will have to see.

Some of you seem quick to downplay the car and say it is going to be heavy and this and that but you really have no idea. Like Vquick and I keep saying...it should contain many Carbon Fiber parts...why do you think they would use CF on the R34 but then not use it on the more expensive GTR. i think it will have alot more weight saving options than you may think.

If you think logically...Nissan/Infiniti managed to keep the current G35 around 3500lbs at a price tag of $35k. They are giving themselves an extra $35k+ for improvements and better materials. Just seems irrational of Nissan to just add weight to the car and not even consider other options to lighten it back up.

I expect it to weigh well under 3500lbs.
ZedEx Crew Member #4

Last edited by k3smostwanted; 08-18-2005 at 04:33 AM.
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote