View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #67
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 3000gt's/Stealth very own off topic thread: v 5

So sad that there hasn't been any posts in this thread in 4.5 years. I remember when there used to be 10-20 posts a day in the OT thread alone. Then there were other posts/threads of advice seekers.

I'm still around daily, but its mainly watching for spammers keeping them from overrunning AF. I was actually searching for a post I knew I made and ran across a lot of old threads in the process that brought back some memories.

The funny thing is since my post in Feb 2015 a lot changed. I lost my job in April of that year, that was how I had the time to get so much done in such a short time. A few weeks after I posted the paint car picture I got "called back" which killed progress for a few weeks. I was let go again and got things done, but then finally landed a job a month later. It was late October and I did what I could in the evenings, then pretty much let it sit again for a period of time.

Fast forward a few years (2017) and I tear back into it but run into some rust issues. I bought a 91 3000GT shell with anticipation of cutting it up and patching things, only to make the ultimate decision to scrap the Stealth, and start over on the 3000GT because it was insanely clean, and had a good title.

I made tremendous progress in a short amount of time. I literally stripped it to a bare shell with no suspension, subframes, interior, and nothing in the bay in a matter of two weeks only working evenings and weekends. I completely cleaned up the underside and bedlined it. I bedlined the interior.

I prepped and painted the engine bay, jams, etc a week later, and actually repainted them the week after that due to a "rookie" mistake and me wanting them to look good. I did other little things as I could between work, bowling and winter. Come February 2018 my uncle that was much like my second dad passed away suddenly. It took a lot of wind out of my sails for awhile.

After a few months my cousins (his sons) and I had talked about getting some things done so we could put my car in the garage and get the engine installed. There was delay, after delay and I wasn't pressing the issue then finally Black Friday 2018 the car got towed up to the house and put in the garage. Again it took several months of delays but we finally got the engine installed.

After several weeks (maybe months) of sorting different electrical issues due to putting a SOHC engine in a DOHC car it fired to life April 2019. Its been legal for awhile now and I have put about 150 miles on it. I still need to do the paint, but that won't come til spring/summer. I still need to install the sideskirts and the rear widebody quarters.

Absolutely everything on the car has been rebuilt, painted, etc. Its not perfect, but I have done it all myself.