Thread: Beadlock Wheels
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2002, 10:47 AM   #25
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Maddog
Quote:
Originally posted by RticQl8

I havent come across a need for armor yet and hope I wont since I usualy use a spotter and I would hate to add the extra wieght and potential for over heating.
You usually don't realize the need for armor until it's too late. Just ask anybody who has fucked up their rocker panels or has put a rock on the t-case. I understand you don't get in the rocks much, but I've sustained considerable body damage from hardened mud. I've never seen armor cause over heating, not saying it isn't possible, just not likely, in my opinion.

Quote:
as for the solid front axle, I would sooner buy a new (used) truck with solids all around. You can get a good Jeep for just under 7k around here. In my oppinion such a drastic mod as that would be foolish. If you desire a vehicle with solid axles it would make more sense to purchase one rather than build one yourself.
You have a point, but coverting IFS to a sold front axle is becoming more common today. I fully understand the Xterra's limitations and at this point a SAS may indeed be "foolish." However, in the years to come, when I'm driving a 8-10 year old truck, and have no desire to understand the Jeep Thing, ditching IFS doesn't seem so dumb. In my opinion the articulation gains would outweigh about anything you could do to increase the abilities of the truck.

Dog