View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: need some help! Can Am 1980 175

WOO HOOO!!!!!
I love those old Can-Ams. I have a 400 MX6-B, about the last Open-class Canadian-made motocrosser. I also have the remains of a 175 Qualifier as parts, but the bike was so badly abused there was just about nothing left.

Check E-bay or the net for some leads and info in parts and service. Years ago, I knew of a couple of Canada Post employees in Oshawa, Ontario who had cornered the market on parts. I do not know if they are still into it, though.

As 2-strokes go, these bikes were pretty simple and straightforward. Anyone with 2-stroke dirtbike repair experience can figure out how to keep one running.

Factory-original parts are very difficult to find. But many parts, like fenders, cables, handlebars, tires/spokes/rims, drivechain, shocks, filters, lines, and most electrical parts can be adapted from other makes of bikes or from generic parts.

As a last resort, keep your eye open for other Can-Ams for sale. These bikes, especially broken ones go really cheap and would be good for parts..... even if you do not need the parts right now.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote