View Single Post
Old 09-18-2001, 07:35 AM   #1
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

Owner testimony of the Model J

After WW-II Mr J. L. Ebert, inspired by his love of the majestic Duesenberg Model J, wrote to every original purchaser and then-current owner he could trace of these glorious machines, to establish a true and accurate record of actual ownership experience ... not heresay or legend.
Transcribed below is but one response - a gem I hope fellow AF'ers enjoy - a testimony from the original owner of a 1930 265hp Murphy-bodied Convertible Roadster
- note: this relates to the non-supercharged version, not the utterly spectacular 320hp SJ supercharged job.

(photo below of virtually identical car)

Quote:
From: original owner Doran Hinchman - dated November 8th, 1948
Dear Mr Ebert,
In reply to your communication of Dec. 4th, relative to the Duesenberg Coupe which I purchased from Duesenberg Inc. in the year of 1930, I sold the car about two years ago.

The car was a Model-J and I shall remember it best for its tremendous speed of ninety miles per hour in second gear.

I recall that one morning I was driving from Logan to Huntington, W. Va. a distance of around 70 miles.
I picked a fellow up who wished to go to Huntington and let the car drift through the congested area of the city and began letting it out after reaching the city limits.

The fellow ceased talking and seemed to keep his eyes on the instrument board. I could tell he was uneasy and at one point I glanced at the speedometer which was then reading one hundred and ten miles per hour. When we reached Huntington City limits and I had to slow down the man began to talk about what a fast car I was driving. When we parked he got out and walked around the car and some one asked him when he had left Logan? He replied and I quote - Just a little bit ago and I can tell you brother this car can walk the dog. It was just goodbye Logan and howdy Huntington. - unquote.

On another occasion a chap who new little about reading speedometers, got the readings of the Tachometer mixed up with the speedometer readings and he told a friend of mine that the car would do three thousand miles per hour.

Once a fellow told me he would never be foolish enough to out so much money in a car. I asked him what kind of a car he was driving and he mentioned a very wonderful car in the $2,500 price range and went on to tell me he had owned seven of them which he had purchased new. He seemed puzzled when I told him he had spent enough on those seven cars to have almost owned two Duesenbergs. Of course I counted in the numerous repairs; for as long as I had the Duesenberg I did not spend but little on repairs tho it needed some work on it when I let it go.

I shall never regret having purchased the Duesenberg and I have never seen any other brand of car that I think can come up with the great Dusey, it was simply outstanding in a class all its own.

Yours truly,
(signed) Doran Hinchman
Thunda Downunda is offline   Reply With Quote