View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
SLJ2137694
AF Regular

Re: Synthetic to Conventional Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Hmm, I've gathered that from people that rebuild engines. I've also been told that manufactures pre-break in engines and they don't use synthetic.

That's just what I've been told though.

Also, just to reiterate. I've switched two cars with over 100,000 miles to synthetic without problem. I forgot to put that in.
Todays engines require very little break-in due to the precise control of tolerances and machining processes. Engines are not pre broken-in by the manufacturer. Most of your high line cars come from the assembly plant with synthetic lube, cars such as the Corvette, many Cadillacs, Dodge Viper, Porsche and many others. A properly re-built engine, be it old tech or hi tech, will break-in just fine on synthetic oil. The problem is that there are too many people that keep passing on bad information about many automotive subjects that no one knows what to believe. I have been involved in many hundreds of engines run on dynometer durability cycles and many fleets of vehicles that ran synthetic engine oil and not one of them failed to break in properly and quickly. The lack of excessive wear to internal engine parts was also amazing.