View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
Olensbro
AF Newbie

Manual Trans won't go into gear

On my way to work I stopped at a light, as normal. When the light changed and I tried to shift into gear, it would not go. It didn't want to go into ANY gear. After several attempts, I finally got it to slip into 3rd and made it to work. There have been no previous warning signs, such as noise or slipping and if I start it in gear, it lurches forward. I've been told that this suggests nothing major to be wrong with the clutch itself. I also still have a strong pedal. I was told that suggests the master cylinder is fine and that I should start with the slave cylinder, my initial hope of the culprit. Not too mention the fluid was slightly above min and pretty dark.

New slave installed. New fluid bled through until there was a solid, clear stream. Pedal still strong, maybe even a little more so. Still not wanting to shift into gear properly. After several attempts, I did get it to go through the gears but not easily, not consistently, and though they aren't really grinding, you can hear the metallic ting of them wanting too. Tried more bleeding with no luck.

Haven't done anything with the master cylinder other than check fluid. I have found many similar scenarios online (many different vehicles types), but no answers. At least none that worked for me. Some had even changed the MC, with no luck. Thought I'd try posting here before moving on to the MC. Any input appreciated?

Last edited by Stealthee; 03-14-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Removed apparent spam links from post body
Olensbro is offline   Reply With Quote