View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Another Tire Pressure Question! Front-Rear Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
1. Understeer. I love understeer! So instead of increasing the front psi in that Elantra, it would have been better only to drop the rears to the 2011 spec(32psi), and leave the front tires at 33psi(2016 door placard). By the way the 2011 generation Elantra carried until 2016. Hyundai just upped the tire pressures on them starting in m.y. 2013 or 14...…
I'm getting a mixed message here. On the one side, you said you liked what the change in tire pressures did, and on the other you said you like understeer. Those of mutually incompatible positions.

And I think it would be better to raise the fronts and not lower the rears. Lowering the rears makes the rear end looser, while raising the fronts makes the front end tighter.

Quote:
…….
2. I asked about ignoring BMW's F/R pressure difference because it sounds to me like you are more in favor of the same cold tire pressure all around, based on your reasoning in post #4. ……
I am not in favor of deviating from the placard specs without careful consideration.

And I certainly wouldn't change the front/rear split without that same sort of consideration.

What I enjoy is a crisp turn-in, which I get by adding a few psi to both the front and rear. I think this principle operates regardless of the way the car was set up.

So, No! I am not in favor of setting the pressures the same all around, unless they were specified that way.

Quote:
…….
3. Snow - a good song by the Chili Peppers. Also, something we do agree on - slightly higher pressure in the colder months.
Yes, we agree. But I like a few psi year round.

And one last point:
Quote:
…….Hyundai just upped the tire pressures on them starting in m.y. 2013 or 14...…
Not according to Tire Guides. They list all Hyundai Elantras with a 32 psi spec in the 2013 and 2014 model year.

Last edited by CapriRacer; 05-04-2020 at 07:47 AM.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote