View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Another Tire Pressure Question! Front-Rear Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
What you did there was to reduce the amount of understeer in the car. That, of course, is going to make the car feel more nimble.

No, you should not ignore what pressures are on the vehicle tire placard. They are there for a reason.

At the same time, you should consider them as a starting point if you want to cheaply change the way the car feels. The problem, here, is that it is easy to over do and you could get yourself in a great deal of trouble if you don't thoroughly think this through and do the testing necessary to validate that sort of change.

That's another one of those bits of "wisdom" I am trying to change.

The way I see it is that the higher pressure tends to penetrate the snow and allows the tire to contact the road surface, instead of riding on the cushion of snow. The road surface will always have better traction than the snow, so it's the safer proposition.
1. Understeer. I love understeer! So instead of increasing the front psi in that Elantra, it would have been better only to drop the rears to the 2011 spec(32psi), and leave the front tires at 33psi(2016 door placard). By the way the 2011 generation Elantra carried until 2016. Hyundai just upped the tire pressures on them starting in m.y. 2013 or 14.

2. I asked about ignoring BMW's F/R pressure difference because it sounds to me like you are more in favor of the same cold tire pressure all around, based on your reasoning in post #4.

3. Snow - a good song by the Chili Peppers. Also, something we do agree on - slightly higher pressure in the colder months.
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote