View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Re: GM offers fix for Volt battery concerns

The Volt is only a $40k car if you are stupid. My 2013 Volt is leased, and that lease price ($350 a month) is based on an out the door price of $29k ($7500 in federal tax credits that go to the leasing company, $2000 in state tax credits that go to the leasing company, and a GM discount of $2400 that comes right off the top). So basically, the Volt is competing with cars like the Camry and Accord, and is well equipped at that price.

It also drives VERY good, with a lot of punch from the electric motor for 0-40 sprints (it kind of falls on it's face from 40-60, to give an 8 second or so 0-60 time).

I can commute and run errands all week on zero gasoline, and only about $20 worth of electricity a month.

I didn't buy it to save money, however, The real way to save money is to not buy a new car of ANY sort, but to buy a $1000 beater and drive it into the ground. I'm not going to do that anymore for the daily drive. The Volt drives a lot like my old 740iL, as for quickness around town, silence, and comfort. I got the premium interior package with heated leather and suede seats and panels and they are MUCH more comfortable than the base cloth seats. i get to be on the bleeding edge of tech, drive a car tat is much like driving a personal spaceship, and avoid using petroleum on the commute and for running errands, while, unlike pure EVs, I get to drive as far as I want if I have to, due to the gas generator.

BTW, the Volt goes over 40 miles on the battery if it's relatively warm out. I've already gone the 8 mile one way commute on only 3 miles of range, and the outside temps were below 37 degrees. And when I've run the gas generator, I've got over 40 mpg. Lets say you have an 80 mile round trip commute. You'd use all the electric range and a gallon of gas. That equates to the equivalent of 80 mpg, and you can't get that from a regular car. MOST people in the US commute less than 30 miles round trip per day, so most people could do the commute on pure electric and only use the gas generator for longer trips or unexpected trips.

This is my 2013 Volt:

You want to insult me or my car, I'll definitely respond in kind, because anyone that would choose to do so is ignorant in the extreme.

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote