View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Re: Service Traction - Shifting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRMD View Post
Hello,
2007 Malibu Maxx 3.5. I took it to the car wash WITH BOTTOM BLAST. While sitting in the car wash (about 15 to 20 seconds after I went through the bottom blast), I felt like the engine started sort of an intermittent miss. I could see the RPM's drop when I felt the miss and quickly recover. It was noticeable! After doing this for about another 20 - 30 seconds, the "ding-ding-ding" chime sounded and "Service Traction" appeared on the radio display as well as the T/C light (traction control light indicating that the traction control is inoperable) on the dash came on.
When I exited the car wash, I noticed that the shift between 1st and 2nd was early and hard (not chirp the wheels kind of hard, but hard). I also noticed that the subsequent shifts didn't seem quite right. I drove a short distance and parked it, turned the car off and restarted - same problem, so I let the car sit.
About 7 hours later I restarted the car and everything was absolutely fine. Lights off, shift was normal.

I just replaced the RR hub/bearing assbly (about a week ago). Wondering, should I have used some dialectric compound? Is it possible that water from the bottom blast shorted the RR speed sensor? Any ideas?????

Thanks!!
Have you done regular bottom blasts and this is the first time you have an issue? If so, then I would be suspicious about the work I just did. If not, then I honestly would not do anything further. If you start seeing issues during normal driving, then I would be concerned. If I took a pressure washer to my under hood area, for instance, I would not be surprised if I had some issues. But if the issues went away on their own, I would stop my worrying.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote