View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 1984-Possible to remove speedo without pulling cluster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
Have the usual winter squeak on speedometer, and twice I have tried to pull the cluster.
First time could not remove cable because I was not aware it's clipped to prevent turning. The second time I was not able even to get my hand in there to unclip it and unscrew.
So is it possible to remove just the speedometer head and leave the cable in place - there is an image in the shop manual showing that, but no "instructions"?
Thanks!
the speedo cable can be removed I forget exactly how but I did do it . the issue you have I had about 25 yrs ago. I used some 20wt non detergent oil with graphite lock cylinder lube and put it into the cable at the top where its under the dash . dash cover should be removed . the mix stopped the leak but you need to keep putting the oil mix in over a few days as it takes time for it to travel down into the rear of the tranny . the other problem I had where I had to disconnect this cable was at the tranny because I had to replace the tail shaft bushing . sedan had 300K in it . original owner . sold at 380K.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote