View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #107
Nayr747
AF Enthusiast

Re: "American" vs. "Import"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
First of all, you spell understeer wrong and its driving me nuts. Second, I really don't consider the 350z and RX-8 direct competitors of the Evo and STi. The RX-8 is significantly less expensive then the others, and the Z isn't nearly as focused. The Z was built as a road car, while the STi and Evo are more performance cars. You can see this in the level of trim and stock features on the Z. You pay for alot of things that hurt performance.

The fact is, when you take cars that are otherwise identical with the exception of one being RWD and the other being AWD, the RWD one is usually better. Look at the AWD 3-series, G35, and 911s compared to the RWD versions. I think this is a much better way of looking at it then taking two completely different cars and comparing them because there are so many other factors that could play into it with different cars.
Yes, I can't spell very well. Although the general level of spelling proficiency in this country is far worse. And btw, you have put two seperate words together about 15 times and counting in this thread; It's *a lot* not alot. It would be like saying alittle. But anyway, you're just splitting hairs now. The RX-8 costs $2-3k less than the Evo, unless you're talking about the RS which is less expensive than the RX-8 but has less comforts.

Evos are renowned for their handling, steering, and turning abilites. Saying that they'd be better being RWD is sacrilegious. Should the Skyline also be RWD? Another thing is some people have converted Evos to RWD. And in the two cases I know of they were worse off for it. The RWD Norris Designs Evo is slower yet is lighter and has more hp than an AWD one. Rhys Millen Racing also converted one to RWD and while it still supposedly performed pretty well, it did not handle as well as a regular Evo.

Here's how I see AWD vs. RWD:
Twisty roads: AWD
Technical tracks: AWD
Tracks w/ long straightaways (Nurbugring, etc): RWD
Off-road/wet/snow/etc: AWD
Fastest possible @ drag strip: RWD
Fastest possible on street from stop: AWD
Fastest possible on street rolling start: RWD
Most fun (drifting/burnouts/etc): RWD
EDIT: forgot to add fastest on street tires: AWD

As for AWD not doing as well as RWD at the drag strip, John Shepherd's AWD Talon seemes to do well enough, runing a 7.97@179. And it will be even quicker this year. And I believe he's still running the stock 4 bolt rear end. http://shepracing.com/

To whoever said how are they identically set-up; They were all stock cars setup by Tein with thier suspension. What I meant was they didn't just use one guy's car with god knows what done to it, and some other car that's stock or something. They were all Tein's display models or whatever.

'99 GSX, 5-speed, 60k miles: Greddy filter / RRE uicp / 1g bov / Autometer boost gauge / Injen-copy intake / Megan DP (not installed)

Coming soon! Thx to Blackcrow & nova1313! http://dsm-one.org/
Adopt pets in need! http://www.petfinder.com/

Last edited by Nayr747; 04-29-2006 at 04:12 AM.