View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #106
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Re: "American" vs. "Import"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr747
Uh, no... You must be thinking of the English Norris Designs one. That's an anomoly. And if you want to use that car as an example, it's RWD, weighs almost nothing, and has more hp than the AMS *AWD* Evo that is full weight, yet it is still slower(AMS Evo is 9.4, ND Evo is 9.71). Hmmm....

I disagree that RWD is better than AWD around a track or on windy roads. Real life example: Tein has seven identically setup cars: an STi, an RX-8, an Evo, a FairladyZ (350Z), GS300, JDM Fit, and Vitz. Now you can see that there are AWD, RWD, and FWD cars in there. They raced them down one of Japan's windy touges. Here's a quote from the article:

"As exiting as rear-drive platforms are on the mountain pass, the last car to drive, the TEIN Evo, epitomizes the touge experience. Its precise steering, huge grip and docile balance sets this run apart from all the others by integrating the driver, machine and road into one sensation. I'm no londer battling the touqe in a car; the Evo is now an extension of me as if in a video game, where the dash, wheel, contols and even windshield have disppeared from notice."

You'll see this same thing in all of the videos, articles, etc that I posted. The Evo does not understear. It is nuetral (i.e. the best). And it can get it's back out if you want it to. The STi on the other hand does understear.

Wow, a dedicated, more expensive, purpose hand built track car beat the four door, A/C, grocery getting sedan. There will always be something faster and that Noble is a great car.

Like I said earlier: Evos don't understear, and there are in fact RWD competitors to the Evo and STi such as a 350Z, RX-8, etc... and they lose.
First of all, you spell understeer wrong and its driving me nuts. Second, I really don't consider the 350z and RX-8 direct competitors of the Evo and STi. The RX-8 is significantly less expensive then the others, and the Z isn't nearly as focused. The Z was built as a road car, while the STi and Evo are more performance cars. You can see this in the level of trim and stock features on the Z. You pay for alot of things that hurt performance.

The fact is, when you take cars that are otherwise identical with the exception of one being RWD and the other being AWD, the RWD one is usually better. Look at the AWD 3-series, G35, and 911s compared to the RWD versions. I think this is a much better way of looking at it then taking two completely different cars and comparing them because there are so many other factors that could play into it with different cars.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1