View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #229
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Re: Favorite Classic cars, what are they.

What you have described is a category known as "special interest automobiles" for a couple of decades. As I recall the CCCA started out by recognizing only a handful of specific makes and models produced between World War I and World War II. Members would nominate additional cars and the standards committee would approve or disapprove them.

The first big exception was made for the Lincoln Continental, when they stretched the eligibility envelope from 1941 to the end of 1948 production.

I haven't paid attention to CCCA for a long time, so perhaps they have added some sort of later-model class, but I doubt they would lump them in with the old '20s through '40s classics.

I do think that you if could take a new Chrysler 300 V6 or heck, a Hyundai Genesis sedan back to 1942, the performance, comfort, assembly and paint quality would make any senior Packard, Rolls-Royce, Duesenberg or Bugatti seem like a gold-plated Jeep. You wouldn't be able to pick up FM stero radio and you'd have to bring your own multi-weight oil with 2010 additives, but I think "Ethyl" gas was up to 90 octane or so...oops, there goes the catalytic converter, replace it with a "test pipe"!
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote