View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #57
zundapman
AF Newbie

Post Re: Chevy Colorado Issues = P 0017 code cure?

[quote=j cAT;6970736]these engines are a problem with this code. any dirt or sludge restricts the oil passageways.

... everything you have cited is on my list for efforts to completely eliminate the problem. This truck, while it had very low mileage for its age, did have signs of use/neglect between 17K miles and the time I bought it. This was a period of almost three years when it dropped off the public record. It was close to a quart low with very dirty oil when I bought it, something I discounted because of the low mileage.

If it went 10K+ miles between the last oil change of record at a dealer and when I changed the oil immediately after I purchased it, I can fully understand how things got the way they were. My problem is with the "system" which makes judgements and recommendations to the independent consumer.

My mechanic discounted oil issues because I had just had the oil changed when I brought it in. I doubt now if any of the replaced sensors were at fault, so I am out over $300 in unnecessary part swapping, and the landfill has three more "throw away" sensors in it.

It is interesting to hear the name of my old favorite, Marvel Mystery Oil. I still own a 1952 Zundapp KS601. This is a horizontal twin designed by Ferdinand Porche. Its motor has pistons, cylinders, valves, and clutch parts in common with the original 32 hp Volkswagen. I found years ago that running a small dose of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas as a top cylinder lubricant prevented all kinds of issues related to the same problem, formation of carbon deposits on valve stems within the path of combustion gasses.

I have always been somewhat leery of "crankcase cleaning" processes pushed by places like Jiffy Lube and Uncle Ed's Oil Change on the grounds that residual detergent contamination might actually increase post-treatment wear by "thinning" the oil. Maybe now is the time to re-think this issue as well. (Zundapp recommends non-detergent oil and a 1K mile oil change cycle in their user manual published in 1952) Bikes which religiously followed that recommendation ran 100K or more with no "wear out" issues provided valves were kept adjusted properly.
zundapman is offline   Reply With Quote