View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
drdd
AF Enthusiast

Re: Clunk in Front End 97 Blazer

On my '97 4x4, it ended up being the control arm bushings.

Try some silicone lubricant spray into the bushings. This temporarily helped my clunk go away. More importantly, it let me know that the bushing was indeed the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massguy View Post
I know there are many posts on this, but they are very old.
My 1997 S10 Blazer 4x4 has an irratating (putting it mildly) clunk in the passenger side front end. It clunks hard when I first take off in the morning after I put it in gear and release the brakes. Then it continues to clunk, not as loud, when I turn left and brake. Much worse when the vehicle and outside air temp is hot.
I have replaced brake pads and rotors, inspected the brakes.
I have replaced all the sway bar bushings on both sides.
I had the idler arm replaced.
Front pass. side wheel bearing replaced.
One mechanic said it needed a lower ball joint, another lifted the vehicle, lowered it on a support (twice, each side) and worked the ball joints with a pry bar and determined they are fine.
Another greased my wheel stops, didn't help.
Tie rod ends are tight.
CV joints appear to be tight.
Shocks seem to be tight.
I had someone move the car back and forth a few feeet while braking and I watched. You can feel the whole wheel assembly "pop" when it makes the noise.
Could it be upper or lower A-Arm bushings?
3 mechanics say they have never had to replace them and insist it is something else. I can see space in the upper A-Arm bushings and I can see it move side-to-side when we moved it back and forth.
Any suggestions before I go nuts?
Thanks
drdd is offline   Reply With Quote