Thread: Passlock System
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #134
cpoleary
AF Newbie

Re: Passlock System

My car is a 2002 Malibu LS. The car will not start and the Theft System light stays on steady.
  • I put in a new ignition cylinder from GM. ($226.00 included $30 to re-key it to my key. The dealer said he could program the car for another $125.00 but I decided to try the 30 minute learn instead)
  • I put the car back together and turned the key to the run position and the Theft System light started to flash and went out after about 10 minutes
  • I turned the key off and waited 5 seconds and turn it back to the run position and the Theft System light stayed on steady and never went out no matter how long I waited
  • Called the dealer and told them I was towing it there to have them program it. The dealer said they found a loose connection at the BCM and repaired it, (for $260.00!). The dealer called and said the car started and ran for about 10 minutes and died. They say the fuel pump is bad and need to be replaced to the tune of $700.00+!!! I told them to forget that since I was still a bit certain that the Theft System could be shutting it down.
  • I had the car towed back to my house and low and behold, the Theft System light is still on steady! I have no idea what they did for $260.00 but I don’t think it was to program the system to the new cylinder like I asked them to do.
So my questions are:
  • Since the Theft System light is on steady, could this be a DOA switch or a bad BCM? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would think that since it’s electronic that anything is possible with this
  • When we say the Theft system has encountered a problem and causes a no-start condition, does it shut down the fuel pump and/or the injectors? If it shuts down the fuel pump I then I’ll pass on dropping the tank and throwing more money at this POS until I get the theft system issues worked out
  • Once this is fixed has anyone tried a remote start bypass rather then the switch or resistor trick? Just wondering since I happen to have one for this car. ~ Although I’m leaning towards the RadShack switch install.

Thanks for reading all this, I’m interested in any and all comments.
cpoleary is offline   Reply With Quote