View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
timo944
AF Newbie

Re: Issue with Zero paints on Gunze Sangyo kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulap1 View Post
Scalemodeling channel on Youtube offers many videos of builds using Zero paints. If I remeber correctly the intervals are 5-20 minutes, it depends whether you use top color or gloss coat.
Several members of our local model forum had similar issues with Zero paints being too hot and attacking plastic, causing wrinkles on surface of a model. They suggest to use Gunze Leveling thinner to avoid such situation. Just add 3-4 drops of it into airbrush cup filed with Zero paint. This method may solve your problem, too.

Something strange is that the primer seemed to attack the plastic too. For example, I had completely sanded out the mold lines, but when priming it seemed that they would reappear a bit, almost as if they opened up, and I had to re-sand and re-prime. I learned to make several light coats not to bring the lines back out.

I watched the videos and I am applying a lot less paint, especially at the beginning. As said above, the primer coat was several light mists.

BUT - I had no problems like this on Tamiya plastic! I think the Gunze plastic is somehow softer that Tamiya

SO - I will try to source some of this leveling thinner from Gunze and see if that helps. It looks like it might be hard to find.

Thanks
timo944 is offline   Reply With Quote