View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #7
SpellsingGeo
AF Newbie

Re: 1993 Geo Metro Engine timing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvett69 View Post
take a look at the tang on the bottom of the distributor, will see that its offset and so is the slot on the camshaft. you can try to put it in any way you want to but it will only line the slot up in one position get get it to go all the way in and since thats the only way it will go in you can't have it out of position in relation to the cam. once you get it to slide all the way in you can check and will see its pointing towards #1 plug. if you don't believe me try to slide it in pointing to a different wire. i assume you have the 1.0 3 cyl engine. on the 4 cyl it has a gear you do have to line up
It's interesting that the book makes you go through all the trouble of putting the engine in the TDC position in order to install the distributor. If the dizzy will only go in with the rotor pointing to the number one spark plug position.

I don't doubt you I just think it's odd they make you do all that work for nothing.

Also, what did you mean "the dowel" on the crank shaft sprocket pointing down? The "dowl" pin is the key that keeps your crank pulley installed only one way. On my engine the dowel is the timing mark on the crank shaft and it should be pointing up at the timing mark on the front of the engine.

I'm wondering if we're talking about the same cars here?
SpellsingGeo is offline   Reply With Quote