View Single Post
Old 12-25-2001, 05:42 PM   #9
SkylineGTS25t
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SkylineGTS25t
Quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus XIII

The GT-R Concept is coming along to the production room just fine; and gearing for international sales, at that.

I understand that, but it isnt exactly based on the same platform as the Skyline G35, so that does not answer my coupe question.

Quote:
Let's clear up something here. I'm sure you all know this, but I want to make it a firm point: Nissan is separating the 'Skyline' and 'GT-R' placards. That's why the Skyline GT sedan is not what you expect it to be. The V35 Skyline is designed to compete with the Toyota Altezza, BMW 3-series, Jaguar X-type, and all those other smaller rear-wheel-drive sports sedans. The GT-R on the other hand is to be the sole grand tourer, not even retaining the name Skyline in any way or form. They are now two completely separate cars, so we can't compare the current Skylines with older Skylines.
This is fine that they wish to separate the Skyline and the GT-R. But I feel that there should still be a coupe form of the GT sedan. And they could have done a better styling job. Look at the Altima for chrissakes. It finally says the same thing to me that the R-32 did. The styling on the front end looks like ass. The headlights look funny, and it just has an odd shape. And they can still compete with those sports sedans and keep the RB26DETT engine. Lord knows the afore mentioned sedans cant hang with a Vette. With the RB26DETT, it would be foolish to buy any of the others. And why cant they just sell it as a Nissan instead of this stupid diatribe with following suite behind Toyota(Lexus) and Honda(Acura)?

Quote:
Furthermore, Nissan can't replace their Cefiro/I35 front-wheel-drive sedans with the V35 Skyline GT sedan/G35 because there is still a competetive market for front-wheel-drivers with emphasis on the luxury end of the spectrum. Lexus still has their Windom/ES300 which still sells well, especially now with a complete make-over. Even Honda has their Saber/3.2TL mid-sized luxo in this section of the market. Let's face it, some like more pampering, some like more aggression. The people need both classes.
This is fine as well, but what about the Maxima? It could use a redesign(aside from the one it just got).

Quote:
By the way, the Q45 has always been, and will always be rear-wheel drive.
I know, I wasnt calling it into question, just saying maybe this could be a possible design for it.

Quote:
Nope, can't leave the Z car out. It's still known as Fairlady Z in Japan. And they must change the name to 350Z. It's always been in alphanumerical form for decades; it would be foolish to change the form of the name, if they are attempting to "revive" a legend. And another thing, the 350Z will be priced near $29,000, NOT "$35-50,000". The whole point of the next Z is to make it a "back-to-basics" affordable GT, just as it was when it was first released as the 240Z.
There were 300Z's here(just saw one the other day) Labeled Fairlady. I was gussing on the price too, as I had no idea. I just figured that would be around what they might want for it. But $29,000 sounds even better. Id have payed 35 for it though(The Z is worth it).

Quote:
What? CA18DET? That 10 year old thing? Isn't it obvious why Nissan never gave the U.S. 240SX the original DET engines anyway? There's no torque! They figured the American consumers wouldn't 'get' what turbo cars are all about--especially during an era when rear-wheel-drive sports cars need big torquey engines. Just because you and I want cars like the Silvia, doesn't mean the mass majority will want them. Don't blame Nissan, blame the public for being ignorant and close minded about other types of technology.
Ok, they have no torque. Drifters sure seem to like it though. I still feel cheated, though. But I look at it like this, They have no car to compete with the RSX, or the WRX, or the EVO when it gets here. The Silvia, 240SX, and 180SX would do it for them. All based on the same platform, with slightly different designs and engines, they would sell the hell out of them.