View Single Post
Old 12-25-2001, 11:04 AM   #7
SkylineGTS25t
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SkylineGTS25t
Quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus XIII
Anyways, enough about the GT-R, what do you guys think of THIS car?
I already told you what I think about it. I do not think it is a worthy successor to the Skyline name(even though its not gonna be a Skyline here). The Styling isnt inspiring. The fact that there most likely will be no Coupe form of it makes me sick, and on top of that its going to be an Infiniti. Maybe if they would have designed it to replace one of their other models(Maxima, Q45, anything else that is FWD that could use to be RWD for just once in its life) it wouldnt make me so bitter. But for them to try and pass it off as a Skyline and then totally piss on America and send it to us as an over-priced Infiniti, thats the brakes!(no pun intended)

IMHO, if Nissan wants to use a shared platform to save money, fine. Im all for it. But give it that Skyline sense of styling, you know? That car does nothing for me. The design is blah. Im sure the car is very advanced technologically, but to pass THAT as a Skyline is sickening. I look at R-30's and R-31's and I can see the styling cues that were carried over. They, even though they are dated, strike me. There is this sporty sense about them, even though some of them are not all that sporty, especially by todays standards. Then I look at the R-32. Hell, even in Sedan form, this puppy looks downright VIOLENT!!! It says dont fuck with me. The looks are absolutely gorgeous. The R-33 and R-34 continue this. Then we hit this new Infiniti wonder car. It looks to me like they are trying to market it to all the wrong people(which they are by badging it an Infiniti and pricing it so high). If Nissan wants to save their image, they need to start making performance cars that can be afforded by the people that truly want them. The 240SX was the last car they sold to the US market that did that(and even it got a little pricey towards the end there). And the proposed new GT-R enters into a teritory that is a little dicey. When you start wanting to price a car at $70,000 you run into trouble. Everyone that can afford that is already buying a Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi or the like. Nissan isnt exactly a car company that you think of when you think of that price range. The 350Z(Funny, the 350Z is the only thing they will send us without changing the name...) probably wont run into a huge problem with its pricing(though I feel it probably will be high in price; probably $35-50,000) as it will probably do well in its price range.

If you ask me, Nissan could do a little more to save their asses if they they are already that far into the sling. They could start by acually giving us something worth our time. Hell, if they came out with a new Silvia/240/180(and keep them all RWD, unlike their competitors who all sell FWD cars now...) variant here, and it was well equipped(with maybe an RB20DET for the Silvia, SR20DET for the 240 and of course the CA18DET for the 180) and priced well(no more than say the price of a WRX for the Silvia, and less for the 240, and even less for the 180), Id go put a down payment on one and drive it off the lot right now. Wow, I just created three new models in a spot that they would DOMINATE here if they priced the cars accordingly. Especially with the absence of the Camaro/Firebird, and the Mustang about to go GT more than muscle/pony car. Its only competition would be the WRX, the forthcoming Lancer EVO and a few other cars.