View Single Post
Old 01-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #24
Dizy_art
AF Newbie

!!! My First Post !!!

OK, this is my first post. I wasn't even going to register, but seeing so many posts about Yugo made me do it!
I grew up in the small village of Belgrade , and lived there for like, 14 years... (I'm 18 now). One thing I grew up with were Yugo's and JOKES ABOUT YUGO'S.. hehe...

To answer to your questions, zastava stopped producing Yugo's in 1990 because of the stupid war. They kinda switched to producing guns instead... waste of time. Yugo is actually a high quality car, considering the low cost of it and that they didn't change much over all the years they were producing it. People in europe still love it. You would be surprised how many Yugo & Zastava racing cups exist... It's actualy a lot of phun, because it's really easy and cheap to tune a Yugo. I admit, it's small, but I'm 1,96m tall and I'm having more trouble getting in a Golf II than in a Yugo.
I once saw a public display of Yugo's set to be shipped off to US, and all I can say is that you got the best Yugo's ever made... Belgrade is still packed with Yugo's and Zastava's made as early as old as 50 years ago... that's when they began their first independant mass production.
All things considering I like the car! Although it has a bad reputation even at it's home it has a very good cost/quality ratio.
Quote:
Originally posted by 2strokebloke
but like any other 3rd world car
Ok, we are pretty fucked up, but considering a war has passed and bombs flew over my head, I think we are hangin on pretty well, so Yugoslavia (Serbia & Montenegro) surely doesen't qualify as a 3rd world country. But it does qualify for making lousy cars and having BAD LUCK...

As I said, I grew up watching Yugo's and since it's made in my country I never had a sense of it's value and popularity....
... so please do me a favor and tell me where would you put it if you were to evaluate all cars made at that time (80's). Please try to compare it with European cars, because I know very little of American.

... oh, man, I wrote a whole essay, I feel very sorry for the one who read it all. HF

FAMOUS YUGO JOKE:
Why does a Yugo have rear windshield heater?
So that when you push it, it keeps your hands warm