View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
ASJT3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ASJT3
Re: 1991 Wrangler 2.5 no start

Well...took off the timing cover and this is what I found: the camshaft sprocket was completely stripped (teeth were stumps); the chain tensioner was limp and no longer sprung; the chain guide was missing and guide supports were machined away (apparently by the chain); and the camshaft and crank sprockets were misaligned.

Rotating the crank by hand I clearly witnessed the chain slipping over the cam sprocket. Will replace the sprockets, chain, tensioner, and guide and also drop the oil pan to empty out the probable debris within.

I’ll report back with the outcome!

(Edit): I should clarify that The cam was not frozen. It still rotated (and I still get good compression) but The chain would slip every now and then. Could not the absence of the chain tensioner for an extended period eventually wear down the Cam teeth and cause this issue?

Also, this morning I pulled off the valve cover and rotated the cam by hand to witness valve operation and everything appeared normal

Last edited by ASJT3; 01-04-2018 at 06:33 AM.
ASJT3 is offline   Reply With Quote