View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
drdd
AF Enthusiast

Re: acid flushing radiator cooling system

Thanks, but I think I'm okay. It has never run poorly ... just overheated (irradically, inconsistently). I did check for bubbles in the reservoir today ... none that I can tell. There's no coolant in the oil (just did a recent oil change) and no oil in the coolant. The oil dipstick smells fine as does the coolant. Also, two cooling system pressure checks (one from dealer and one by myself) showed that it held pressure well. Wouldn't the pressure check reveal head gasket or intake manifold leak?

Anyhow, plugs, rotor, cap, wires are the next project in a week or so. I'll check the plug condition then. Not looking forward to the lower back pains caused by the distributer cap !!! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Jimmy
Overheating, runs poorly, sludge in the recovery tank, sounds like a combustion chamber to water jacket leak.
Are you getting any bubbles into the tank? Steam will condense before it gets to the tank unless you at a rolling boil.
Is there coolant in the oil (looks like dirty Mayo on the dip stick)?
Does the coolant in the recovery tank smell like gasoline after the engine has been running?
Answer yes to any one of these and it's a blown head gasket or worse cracked head or block, both of which have been a problem in the 4.3L.
Check your plugs, if one looks different, dirty, or clean that's probably the cylinder. Do a compression check and see if their all about the same, if not you got problems.
If that's your problem Bunkie, repost and we can talk.
Good luck
drdd is offline   Reply With Quote