View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
drdd
AF Enthusiast

Re: acid flushing radiator cooling system

Well, I did the acid flush today. It took a long time but I followed the directions to a "t" (drain, fill with acid and H2o, run for 1 hour, cool/drain, add neutralizer and run for 10 minutes, cool/drain, flush with H2o until clear, refill with coolant - thorough clean of reservoir). The only thing I did different from the directions is that I took the thermostat out completely. I reinstalled it when finished.

So far, so good ... will keep an eye on it ...

be careful with this stuff folks (oxalic acid) ... don't inhale or touch it ... dont inhale it in its powder state ... don't inhale the steam once it's gone thru your cooling system ... let things cool off !!! don't let it touch your paint ! Soapy water should neutralize ... just be careful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdd
Well the Jimmy's starting to overheat irradically again.

I've replaced just about everything in the cooling system within the last year (stat, "Stant" brand rad cap, water pump, radiator) and flushed it recently. Even after that thorough flush about 5 months ago, I recently noticed sludge floating around in the overflow reservoir. Sometimes the truck will run fine and sometimes it will run too hot. I always shut it off if it goes about 1/2 on the temp gauge. Anyhow, I think that the irradic overheat is caused by a large chunk of rust/scale/sludge/gunk getting
stuck periodically - usually in the thermostat or in the heater core.

Anyways, there were some previous posts about acid-flushing a system. I can't seem to find any acid-based flush products at Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly, etc. Is an acid-flush something that a do-it-your-selfer can do? I've heard an acid-flush is primarly oxalic acid. Is there a name-brand acid flush product?

Any negative thoughts on acid flushing?
drdd is offline   Reply With Quote