View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #42
BlackRain
AF Newbie

Re: Best Sleeper In STOCK Form

I stumbled upon this thread and had to put my .02¢ in. I own a bone stock 2006 Buick Rainier CXL V-8 w/awd. It has the cast iron 5.3 with aluminum heads. Probably makes around 300 hp on a cool day. It's not "quick" but I figure anthing with a small block Chevy and all wheel drive must be at least "capable". It leaves a redlight pretty hard. The awd works well and has for two years now. I don't beat the crap out of it but I won't pass up the chance to pick on anything at a redlight. At 150k miles it runs smooth and quiet. It might blow up tomorrow but I'd recommend this vehicle to anyone wanting a "sleeper". This thing looks about as threatening as a Tugboat til the light changes and it chirps all fout tires and disappears. Like I said, it isn't "quick" but it's certaily surprising from 0-100.
You could buy one of these for cheap and add boost. You could get a good summer of play out of the stock engine before you killed it at 9lbs of boost or less.
So there ya go. Pick up one of these for $4k, add $1500.00 for a cheap turbo kit, about another $3500.00 on misc stuff like four drag radials, a tune, and maybe upgrade the fuel pump and injectors, and you'd have a serious saturday night special. Hell, gut the thing out and get the weight down and you'd have a monster on your hands. Well...until the drivetrain goes off like a big grenade but you didn't ask about longevity. I've been driving it for two years and it's not dead yet so it really must be fairly tough.
BlackRain is offline   Reply With Quote