View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #39
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
Big question for all you GT-R fans, since the upcoming car will be under the Infiniti name in the US, will they try and keep at the level of sportiness of the previous Nissan Skyline GT-Rs, or will they try to make it a sports coupe with a luxury component much like the BMW M3?
According to Hiroshi Tamura, the product planner for the R34 GT-R and the upcoming model, the new car will be a huge improvement. In an interview with car, he talked about Porsche's step from the 993 to the 996 and Ferrari's jump from the 355 to the 360, and said 'we must make an even bigger leap.' It should be world class in terms of performance.

Just as an FYI, apparently the GT-R and Lexus LF-A test mules are already faster than Porsche's 997 Turbo mule on the Nurburgring. The two Japanese cars have become real rivals, and I heard the drivers almost killed each other going into one corner because neither would yield.

Quote:
I ask this because cars like the GT500 and the Z06 Vettes are pure sports cars, with few luxuries, making them very different cars from a luxury/sports coupe. A more luxury focused GT-R might not be the same kind of car that the R32, R33, and R34 were. Just a thought.

A heavier, more luxurious GT-R would not be very good competition for the lighter and stronger Z06 Vette.
Well, hopefully the GT-R won't be too luxury focused. One thing that gives us hope in this regard is that there will be a bigger luxury coupe from Infiniti shortly after the GT-R's release. A coupe version of the M45 will be available, which can afford to be more luxury oriented and perhaps compete with the BMW 6-series, upcoming Audi A6 coupe, and lower end MB SLs and CLs. This M45 coupe can take care of the luxury end, and let the GT-R be more hardcore.

With the best rumored specs thus far, the GT-R should beat the next M3(including the CSL), could possibly match the Ferrari 430, and come close to the C6 Z06. The GT-R should be shorter than a G35 Coupe, longer than a 350Z, but much wider than both. With some aluminum in the chassis, and aluminum and carbon fiber body panels, combined with the lighter e4wd system, the rumored weight of 3064lbs could be a reality. With a speculated 480hp, the GT-R would have a power to weight better than the F430, but not quite as good as the C6 Z06.

The GT500 should be a good bit cheaper than the GT-R, but they are aimed at slightly different audiences and have great performance in different ways. I think the GT-R(with the above specs) would be faster, but the Mustang will be a bargain in comparison.

Of course, Ford could always make a more hardcore GT350 with a bit more power(500?), less weight, and better handling via IRS.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote