View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
Lightbulb How to do your own PE parts in 1 hour ;)

Hi guys,
someone asked me, in my threads, how I'll do custom PE parts: this time I taken some step-by-step pict over the process.

This would be a brief tutorial, so feel free to ask me here (no PM plizz) what's unclear or skipped.

Before all I want to thanks (a LOT!) two fellows, without them contribution and help I'll done nothing. First one is Jaykay640: he was (and is) super inspiring with his McLaren thread, and super-helpful with his answers: you're GIANT! The second is my friend Motociclante from the ita forum: he done really a huge research on PE techniques and materials, in particular on the UV device: thanks you too.

Things you need:

Transparent acetate for ink-jet or laser, you'll also ask a service to print your artwork on a slide hi res prnter for offset printing, if youre able to locate one: they're losting due the direct to plate printing tech.

Paper tape (masking tape) and double side tape.

UV device: you'll buy one or make your stuff: I done mine with an old scanner as box, four UV 12V lamps, few cables : the web is full of tutorial about do something like that, just do a research, all the refs I have are in italian.

Developing solution and acid: I'm still using some great stuff designed for plate etching (that is a bit different from electronic etching): BTW you'll use some thinned (water) caustic-soda as developer and ferric-cloride as acid: I don't like ferric cloride cos do much dirty and oxid.

Some toluene solvent (nitro), or acetone, to remove the laquer after the etching.

Pre-coated plates, ready for etching. You'll try the job with the famous UV laquer Positiv20, I tried: you'll achieve good result but for the little parts I need and for the cost I prefere ready boards. You'll find all from an electronic supplier.

Let's start, please reply after "the end"

And, at least, no hurry, like ever in modelling: you'll do all in 1 hour working quiet

Last edited by gionc; 04-25-2007 at 02:53 PM.
gionc is offline   Reply With Quote