View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Rear brake replacement (and later front)

There's one more issue to address this summer, and that is pulsation when braking through 30 MPH. Two shops that looked at it advised to do REAR brakes first. Getting a quote or two, I was knocked over at the cost of PARTS, rather the markup on parts. Also over the past 5 years, there's been rework, double rework and worse to get a number of jobs done right with the Riv. Therefore I've decided to tackle the brakes myself and save money. What are some pitfalls on REAR brakes to avoid? There's a parking brake cable to deal with, and I'd like to PAINT the calipers while at it.

What Parts to use?

Have stopped by the Delco counter and got some decent prices and parts options. They have OEM pads, Semi-metalic pads and Ceramic pads. The rear rotors will need to be replaced. I usually go for "old man" GM parts for cushy ride and quiet operation.

Delco has Rear CALIPER Assemblies that come with Ceramic pads, all new hardware and boots, and copper hydraulic washers. Really nice, complete and easy!! I've done brakes before (in teens years) and its not too difficult, but I'm skeptical of disconnecting the caliper and later bleeding the line. Mainly there can be no squeaks or noise... or vibration!!

Oh yes.. it's advised to flush and replace the brake fluid.

-Ed
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote