Thread: 1/8 Porsche 956
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #28
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 956

Hello 360spider,

There's various drawings of the chassis, suspension, etc, in assorted books I've collected over the years, but everything I have is for the 956 rather than the 962. As with the Moby Dick there's a lot of useful photos on the Freisinger Motorsport site, and some good stuff on the Pelican Parts forum, so I'm pulling lots of info from those sources. There's enough info on the gearbox and spacer module on one or two of these drawings to get the basis dimensions 'about right', but the rest comes from searching the books and online images. The engine will be very similar to the 935-78, so that's less of a worry - I've got lots of photos of what I made last time!

The problem, of course, is working out the little details that are 956 or 962-specific, or the cars that are genuine Porsche tubs compared to the ones made by other workshops, or simply the fact that over the years many things get altered! That's why for now I'm not basing this project on one particular car - there's not really enough reference material on any single chassis. It'll probably end up with details from several cars, and the livery will depend on what I can paint, and what I can make decals for! Fortunately I have a few un-built 1:24 956 and 962's in the collection, so they might be donating their decal sheets to the project, as per the Moby Dick...

The tube-frame is my design, working to fit the measurements of the original aluminium tub. It probably won't be as elegant as the genuine frames for the likes of the 908 or 917, but as it won't be on show I'm looking for strength and stability, rather than a 'perfect' frame. It also means I don't have to add all the weld details! Given how sturdy my original cardboard pattern tub is, I'm hopeful that the styrene-and-fibreglass version will be up to the job. These 1/8 cars get quite heavy, though, when you start adding the transmission, bodywork, etc.

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote