View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Re: Taurus lx 1996 V6 ___ OD/OFF and speedometer stops working frequently

Hello Shorod,
Thank you!

I had some time to work on the car again. I found a way to remove the VSS retaining bolt using a flexible bar. Not easy but did it. I thought the job was done and had just to remove the VSS and install the new one. But, things got worse.
When I tried to pull out the VSS, only the black plastic head came, then the tail (see the attached picture). That seems the VSS was actually broken. The rest is stuck inside the tranny and does not want to come up (See the picture of a new complete VSS.)
When I tried to use the mounting bracket (it was hardly attached to the tranny due to rust) using plier, it came with parts of metal where it was attached to the Vss. In fact now there is nothing where I can grab the Vss even with a pliers to pull it off. Tried with screwdrivers inserted in the hole in the middle, applied a lot of torque, but it really did not move. It is like the section of the Vss that has the seal and is inside the tranny became literally one with it. The car is 20 years old (but was barely used, only 94 000 miles on it).
Do you have suggestion to remove the rest of the Vss? Did someone already face such situation and solve it (from the top of the car)?

Thanks again!

Alf
Alf_001 is offline   Reply With Quote