View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: How do the following cars compare in terms of reliability and what common problems do they have?

The fuel consumption issue on the Subaru Legacy I can see happening, especially on the Outback and any other version that has the 3.6L flat-6. It's supposed to be a brilliant engine in terms of power output, but it is pretty big, and the car is a bit on the heavy side, and you can't get one with a manual transmission. It's either a 5 speed auto or a CVT which makes fuel consumption even worse. The gasket leak and burning oil are news to me, what gaskets leak specifically?

The 2015 Hyundai sonata engine seizing issue sounds pretty serious, if the engine could seize within a year of buying the car, it seems like there should be a recall. Although, that sort of thing would be covered by warrantee, or at least I would hope.

The Honda Accord issues do surprise me a bit, and for that matter so do the issues with the Toyota Camry. I've always looked at them as a pretty solid cars all around. But, these things do happen out of the ordinary sometimes.

The Chevy Malibu problems do not surprise me at all. It's always been a cheaply made car (the modern versions starting in 1997 anyway) I've heard of electrical problems, transmission problems, the infamous ignition switch malfunction that affected more GM models than I care to list, and just a generally cheap trashy feel to the interior trim materials (dash, cup holders, glove box, etc)
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote