View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 01:54 AM   #1
Zwrangler
AF Enthusiast

gearbox problem. help needed.

hey everybody,
I got a 93 z28 and i recently had to get a new gearbox since i fried my old one. Ever since i got the car back though it has never been 100% and has been just F#ckin shit basically. My fuel mileage is shot to hell and the optispark is dying out causing serious hesitation in lower rpms. The throttle response is gone to hell too, before i used to barely put my foot on the accelerator and the car would be flying but now I have to really step on it to get it moving. Anyway, the main problem is since i got this gearbox the car doesn't have that powerful kick anymore when driving it, almost like its lost all its torque. What I mean is when i'm on the highway and just put my foot down all the way my car doesn't accelerate as fast as it used to and the rpms barely get over 4. Feels like my car has 200horses instead of the 290 or so it should have Last night I barely kept up to a turbocharged corolla on the highway, so I've decided enough is enough and I am willing to save up every cent i earn to get back my old cr performance. I've had this gearbox in for around 3 weeks now and I've had enough. This is the 3rd gearbox this guy put in my car and i don't think its gonna get any better than this, so I have given up on taking the car back to that idiot. I think the next option is to find a wrecked camaro and buy a gearbox and put it on. The strange thing is that with this new gearbox in my car launches like crazy from a complete stop (goes to like 5800rpm), but if i'm doing 20kph and floor it all the way down the car barely gets up over 4500rpm and gets there slower than a donkey towing an 18wheeler .

So My questions are (1) if I find a wrecked camaro z28 auto between 1993-97, will their gearbox bolt on with no hassles or does it need to be from a 1993 camaro in specific? (2) Also, and more importantly will it perform like the old one did or will it still give me the shits like this one does now. (3) do I need anything else besides the gearbox itself when i'm converting it from one car to another (such as rear gears or anything)? (4) Is it possible he put in a gearbox from a caprice or something, since i read all gm parts are compatible, and could this be the problem?? Sorry, I know these may seem like newbie questions but I really don't know much about the camaro gears and stuff not related to the engine. Thanks for all the help, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

93 camaro Z28 R.I.P.
From this......................to this and this

check it out at my website

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars but glory is forever !"

Last edited by Zwrangler; 02-06-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Zwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote