View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #18
tragic_hip
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to tragic_hip
Re: Re: Lowering just the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
You can do that. BUT. you will be increasing the spring rate at the rear of you car and not at the front. This will make the back end stiff and the front will stay the same. This will cause poor ride quality and poor handling. You will probably suffer a lot of understeer followed by a violent snap to oversteer if you push it due to these rates. If you only want to lower the rear then you could fit all four coil-over with new struts and have the fronts fully extended and the rears lowered you will have a harsher ride, as coil-overs have a high spring rate as they are able to be lowered 3" or more so need it, but, you will have the appearance you are looking for. If you are not planning to race your car at all, either 1/4 mile or circiut, then maybe you could just get yourself a large stereo install in your trunk. Heavy enough that it weighs the car down that 1.5" but that will be a lot of stuff. 4 12's (JL W7's or something), Amps all in custom enclosure could probably produce a good result. The Cheapest route that would get you somewere near what you are looking for is to but a set of Tein S-Tech springs. These use a stock rate and are designed to work with stock struts (despite what anyboy may say to the contrary, trust me on this one!) and lower the car about 1" in the rear. You could then install just the rears on the stock rear struts and have close to what you seek! good luck!
Hey,

Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't add any details of my car or plans. I do not plan on doing any racing, I have a 2.2L 4 door. I like your idea of the Tein S-Techs. If I lower the rear the one inch, maybe I can add some audio to the trunk to drop it the other half an inch. I have been doing some quick searching and could only find the springs for a 2.4L cavalier, does that mean I'm SOL?

Just to make sure I'm starting to understand this a little better, which I'm still not sure I do ... If I can get the Tein springs, I would put them on all four stock struts, and lower the rear the one inch? The pricing I saw was $220US, does that sound about right?

Thanks again for your help.

Ohhh, I have a page on cardomain, if you wanna look and see what I'm working with.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2070048

Peace.
tragic_hip is offline   Reply With Quote