Thread: FAQ Thread!
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 02:35 PM   #34
JDMDB7
AF Regular

Re: Attention!! F.A.Q.s thread...

Here's the only dyno I could find of a "stock" LS VTEC.

This is a great site that I just found with tons of B-series dynos on it.
http://www.importreview.com/d_1.8.html

There are other LS VTECs on there that make more power, but they have upgraded pistons and cams. Keep in mind the same upgrades can be made to a GSR for better power. The dyno posted above is what you would get for $3000 if you built the motor correctly. You could do it cheaper or you could get upgraded cams/pistons for the same price, but then your reliability is going to suffer. I'd give that dyno an engine life of 50K. But pretty much any shortcuts for that setup will quickly drop you under 20K miles.

There will always be a huge debate about whether turbos or NA is more reliable. I see it this way, if you have an NA 12:1 engine you're going to see 10:1 dynamic compression on every single compression stroke that the engine makes. On a turbo motor your max dynamic compression may be around 11.5:1. But you will only have dynamic compression that high 50% of the time on a race day and 10-20% of the time for daily driving. I feel that the turbo motor is actually putting less stress on the components.

Before you say that I contradicted a previous post, for road racing I was referring to the NA reliability *during the race*. Turbos have more little things that can go wrong, but in general will put less wear on combustion chamber parts.

Coming from another performance angle, the LS doesn't have to be merely an LSVTEC or turbo platform. If your power goals are 170whp or less you can cam the engine much cheaper than an LSVTEC swap. A Crower 62403 swap can get you to 155whp pretty easily with just the basic bolt-on support. That's just as good as a basic (and reliable) LSVTEC setup for under half the cost!