View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Marianitem
AF Regular

Re: Water based replacement to 2k PU clear?

Hi! Revival time, as I'm about to buy one of two options of water based clear. I'm sick of poisoning myself with 2k PU automotive clear, specially considering how much it annoys me that people smoke. I cannot advice them to quit if I'm poisoning myself with clear. (Yes, I wear VOC mask since i open the can until I leave the tools all cleaned up, and have ventilation).

So, I found 2 options.

1- PPG waterborne 2k clear, I think it's acrylic, and I'm pretty sure the code is "something" 8186. Thins with deionized water (the one for your car, or for ironing). It costs about the same as 2 or 3 TS13 spray cans (which I cannot get anyway).

2- 1k polyurethane clear water based, thins with deionized water, made by Rust-Oleum, not sure if it is from the Varathane family of products. The guy recommended it right after suggesting Zinsser 1-2-3 primer (also water based). Costs maybe less than 1 can of TS13 and you get 1 liter (which would have to be thinned out pretty much).

Any of the two options would cover way more cars than what I would have time to build in the next 5 years. It will probably go bad before I can use half of it. But the PPG is a kinda expensive product to buy and find out it doesn't work at all.

I plan on sanding and polishing any product.
I use Iwata Revolution CR with 0.5mm needle.

Did anybody try something like any of these?

2002 Nismo R34 GT-R Z-Tune "PS2 Gran Turismo version"
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R R32
1989 Nissan Fairlady Z 300zx (z32)
1993 Nissan Skyline GT-R r33
1993 Honda Civic FnF
Marianitem is offline   Reply With Quote