View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #77
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Sort of off topic but the 05 Mustang chassis is actually completely unique to the mustang. During the design stages they started out with the lincoln LS chassis but it was gradually changed more and more and it really dosn't retain much, I think only the floor pan is the same. The lincoln LS not only has IRS but it also has double wishbone front suspension. That Neither of those setups are part of the new GT. The 4.6 wouldn't fit between the suspension with the LS's front suspension, and the idea of lowering the displacement more was out of the question. The wheel base was also changed and the rear suspension....well that has already been discussed to exhaustion. The result is a car that will turn peoples heads and command respect with its raw but modern power. At the same time its a car that you will not easily outhandle without a more serious car than your average daily commuter. I am pretty pleased with the results because it dosn't sacrifice its reputation as a straight line oriented car, but still can handle and brake well enough to make everyone happy. K3 was right when he compared the mustang to a 350Z or Rx8, they are at least in the same price region. The comparrison of a theoretical 70000 dollar 07 Skyline and the 40000 dollar alleged GT500 are way off. To me its like comparing a Ford F150 to an Infiniti FX, they are alike in that you can order them with similar power packages, but they are designed with totally different things in mind, and really do not compete in the same market. Nobody on the market for a new skyline is going to change their mind and get a bad ass mustang, and nobody jumping in line to order their GT500 is even considering spending 75% more on a skyline.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote