View Single Post
Old 08-16-2003, 10:12 PM   #39
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: GSR or CR-V????

Quote:
Originally Posted by S|L3NoZ
Is there any other modifications I could do on my turbo B18B1 to make it more powerful and reliable??? Like rods, pistons,crankshaft,etc. Another question I didn't get any response to, which head should I go with??? Some told me to go with stock LS head but I'd like to go with DOHC instead of SOHC. I got some much questions that I'm scared to miss something when building the engine
The LS head IS DOHC...it's just non-vtec. The LS is a B18B1 (94+) or B18A1 (90-93). The LS is a 1834 cc (1.8 liter) 4 cylinder, 16 vavle DOHC motor. All B series motors are DOHC. So yes, go with the LS head, it's fine. Whoever told you the LS is SOHC don't have a clue what they are saying, cuz the LS is DOHC. The only reason people take the LS head off is they want an LS-Vtec motor, so they put on a VTEC B16A or GSR head... but thats more of a N/a motor build in general. For forced induction, the stock LS head is great. The LS/Vtec will allow for a greater base HP..so more at the same boost, but for turbo, vtec cams high lift can cause spooling problems for the turbo at high rpm's. Also, you shouldn't rev the LS block much above 7K until you plan to re-build the motor to handle high 8000 plus rpm revs. For a Turbo, stick with the LS head, it IS DOHC. I have a a 97 B18B1 in my civic. as I said....LS = non-vtec DOHC head. Also, in general, any mods you do to the engine (not CAI or exhaust) to make extra HP before turbo, will rersult in a higher boost'd HP in the end. For rods and pistons, you are putting in low c/r pistons that are stronger with stronger rods...and closing the deck, stronger internals all around....valves, springs, etc...to allow the motor to be able to handle boost above 12 psi the LS can take in stock from. This will allow the motor to be able to handle more power, which= more boost, making it more reliable at this boost as well. Although most ppl do not recomend doing an LS/Vtec turbo (me included), if done and built properly, it can create one hell of an engine, and reliabel too. I know of someone who did all the work and built it themselves (they have there own machine shop and an engineering degree) who has a 500 HP boosted LS/Vtec. Of course, they did it correctly, so it works. It was very important to get the correct FMU and injectors, fuel pump as well. But don't over-rev it becuase it has vtec all of a sudden. The main problems with LS/Vtec's is people would really can't build them do, and the bad build don't last, plus the person over-rev's the motor to like 8K cuz they suddenly have vtec.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote