Thread: New Monza Forum
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
wtousand
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: New Monza Forum

Glad to see this Monza forum appear. I've got a 1980 notchback with a factory 3.8 Buick/350 Turbo tranny in it. Only has about 55k on the clock but suffers greatly from sun-worship/parking-lot syndrom. Not much rust.

My brother had a '79 Monza with the factory 265(?)/4spd in it but sold it. I always admired the car and had intentions of converting my Monza V6 to an 8 but since have more seriously thought about simply updating the 3.8 to a newer blower version. The wrecking yards should be full of them by now. I'm not sure yet what differences exist in the fwd vs rwd 3.8 versions but the top end of the newer motors should at least bolt on and make a great daily driver. The Grand National Buick 3.8 Turbo would be the best but a bit rare and pricy I'm afraid.

Only after I bought this 2600 pound car did I realize it has a factory 10 bolt with a torque-arm live axle combo. With it's light weight, I think it would eventually make a good autocross machine. I'd like to install some lowered S-10 spindles on it along with 5 bolt hubs and axles. Even the long arm/short arm front Monza suspension beats my old '90 5.0 LX Mustang with it's heavy half strut front end, at least in the handling department. The Monza is built like a IROQ Camero that weighs about 600 pounds less than usual.

Someday. It's just sitting in a pasture waiting it's turn now.

Looking forward to your pics.

wtousand is offline   Reply With Quote