View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 01:11 AM   #2
MrIhop
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MrIhop
Thumbs up

What part of Orange County are you at?! I'm at the very western part of Yorba Linda. I wouldn't mind checking out what you have. I don't know too much about 914 in stock form. I ran my 1.8L injected engine for a while, but I bought the car to stick a small block chevy in it. I've been so busy lately, I'm not totally sure when I'll be driving it again.

The 2.0L engine is hot from what I understand. If you run it with that engine, it would be great. If you decided to do a 6 or 8 cylinder conversion, you should get good money for whatever condition the 2.0L engine is in. I believe the 2.0 what built specifically for the 914, but I'm not sure about that. I do know that bug builders are always glad to get their hands on one. If you decide to stick with the 2.0 and end up having the engine torn apart, swap out cams for a hydralic lifter setup. You'll loose a little power, but never have to adjust valves ever!

My 1.8L had l-jet injection, and it's suppost to be a good running system when it works, and as I found out, a pain in the @$$ to work on when it's not perfect. Yours should have the d-jet which I think is a better setup. Wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out for carbs. I'm assuming it will be registered in California, so it is smog exempt.

Having a good body is great! Just check for rust!!! There's no such thing as a rust-free 914, so if you don't find any, you aren't looking hard enough.

Don't be suprised if the engine it toast from sitting, gasoline gets old quick, and engines don't like it. I'd try to get it running before taking it to someone. Please change it's oil - errr sludge as it probably is now!

Engine turns over - great!

Mufflers rusted - I think they all are now!

Rear sags - no problem. Can get repro springs for whatever application you want for your car just about anywhere.

I decided to go V8 before I even bought my car. When I bought mine, it looked really cool....until I fired it up and sounded just like a bug

I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and got a ride in a 500 horse 914. Really cool stuff, but I'm not going to that extreme. I'm building a mild built engine that can be used with the stock tranny and have a very reliable, impressive, and good sounding clean 914!

I would be glad to come over and check out your car any time I'm free! Other than nights like now, which I'm barely awake, I'm pretty much booked until September, but I get a day off now and then. The question about money is a matter of how much you want to spend, and what you want done. I'll have about $15k into my car when it's done. Sounds like a lot, but when I'm eating up new Corvette's and circling Vipers, the cost factor seams a little bit more worth it.

Maybe you saw me driving my little yellow monster last November.

MrIhop is offline   Reply With Quote